• Any resident of the State who wishes to operate a motor vehicle in Maine. New residents who hold a valid driver’s license from another state must surrender that license and apply for a Maine driver’s license within 30 days of establishing residency.
Who Does Not Need a Maine Driver's License to Operate a Motor Vehicle in Maine?
• Any resident who has a valid instruction permit may drive as long as they are accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 20 years of age and has held a valid license for 2 years. The licensed driver must occupy the seat adjacent to the driver with the instruction permit.
• Any non-resident who is at least 16 years of age and who has a valid operator's license or instruction permit issued by his or her home state.
• Any military personnel possessing a valid military license operating a military vehicle.
What Will the Driver License Tests Include?
• The knowledge written test measures your understanding and knowledge of traffic laws, regulations, driving skills and vehicle handling, as well as your ability to identify and understand highway signs. Special emphasis is placed on understanding Maine's drinking and driving laws.
• The vision screening will measure your visual acuity (how clearly you see) and your peripheral vision (how far you can see to either side while looking straight ahead).
• During the road test, the license examiner will assess your ability to maintain control of your vehicle at all times, whether it be driving forward or backward, maintaining your proper lane position, turning left or right or driving straight ahead. You will also be judged on how well you observe and react to other road users and pedestrians, as well as traffic signs, signals and conditions. You will not be asked
to do anything that is extraordinary or illegal
License Classification and Type of Vehicles
There are 3 classes of driver's licenses in Maine.
Classes A and B - Class A and B licenses are commercial vehicle licenses and are distinguished by the size and weight of the vehicle to be driven.
Class C - Class C is the standard license classification issued to most motor vehicle operators.